[Cairo] Removing X Dependency

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Aug 12 19:05:52 PDT 2003

Around 21 o'clock on Aug 12, Brian Victor wrote:

> As far as I can tell from digging around, the font functions rely
> heavily on X, but the only other places it's used is in the drawable
> structure and converting between fixed and doubles.  I naively presume
> the conversion functions could be rewritten.  Am I correct about the
> scope of the task?

Yes, we're well on the way to eliminating X dependencies for cairo,
additional patches would be welcome.

The font stuff is in major flux right now; you can check the archives for
the current plans, but Owen wants native fonts on all platforms, even
though that will require os-dependent code in all applications.  We can
try to build an os-independent layer along side that for "dumb"
applications, the big remaining question is how capable to make that API.

-keith