[Cairo] Re: Xrender transforms...

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 13 23:33:46 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 03:40:09PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 18 o'clock on Aug 11, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > BTW, why not merge all of the libs in it. I tried building debian
> > packages, but it is not easy as the later libs depend on the earlier to
> > already be installed and such. Doing a package per lib would be a
> > solution, but i doubt it makes sense to create a package for slim for
> > example.
>
> The intent is to make libic usable both in the client and the X server so
> that only a single copy of the rendering functions are in memory.  That
> may "force" other modules to be more separate than would otherwise be
> necessary.  The same will likely be true of libpixregion which is just the
> region code stolen from the X server.

Ok, i understand, but it is unreasonable to packages these smallest
libraries separatedly (slim is only a pair of includes after all), and
it is difficult to build them together, since each one depend on the
previous one. I am sure it is possible to make them search the not yet
installed directory of the other libs, but i am not familiar enough with
the auto* configure stuff.

I don't know how it is with other distributions, but i am sure what the
reaction would be from the debian ftp-masters if i make a separate slim
source package.

Maybe a good solution would be to have all ship in the same source
package, and have the building of the smaller modules be conditional, in
case you use system installed ones or something such.

But still, what i ask is not joining all the libraries, just to have
them in a common source package, and having them buildable in one go,
not the build-install repetition we have today, and which will probably
not survive well a delayed install like what is done when building
packages.

And yes, i plan to make debian packages out of cairo, once it is more
mature, err, once there is a released version, that is.

Friendly,

Sven Luther