[Cairo] Re: Xrender transforms...

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Thu Aug 14 11:17:51 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:00:02AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 19 o'clock on Aug 14, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > What about (i don't speak about CVS, but once there are released
> > tarballs which get made) that having all the different libraries in the
> > same tarball, but in a subdirectory, and moving the auto/config stuff in
> > the top directory or something, and then having the possibility to build
> > the none mandatory libs (ic and xregion) or not, would be much more
> > sane. Especially given the small size of those libraries.
>
> That seems like a good project -- I would encourage you to try and use the
> configure scripts in each sub-directory so that the top-level
> configure script would remain relatively independent of the sub-pieces.

:(((

I can have a look, i am not very familiar with configure scripts, and i
loath doing autotools work. But i will give it a try as time permitts.

> > Even for the ic and xregion libs, it is extreme. It could be ok to make
> > them binary packages, but they should go in the same source package (and
> > thus the same source tarball).
>
> Perhaps these two libraries could be packaged together as a single
> library; while they do very different things, they're both necessary
> for any rendering application.  Besides, we could use a better name than
> either 'libic' or 'libpixregion'.

Would it be possible to run cairo on top of X, without having those two
libraries ? Putting them in the same package would be a solution, but
not a clean one, and it doesn't solve the slim problem.

> > There is one gnome-libs source package, which generate the various
> > library packages (lignome32, libgnomeui32, ...). I don't know if the
> > tarballs are pristine upstream ones, or if they are doctored to be made
> > one tarball.
>
> Hmm.  Might be nice to know how those guys solved this problem; at least
> we'd have an example to work from.

Mmm, let me have a look :

gnome-libs-1.4.2$ ls
ABOUT-NLS     configure.in     gnome-libs.spec     libgnome       NEWS
acconfig.h    COPYING          gnome-libs.spec.in  libgnomeui     po
acinclude.m4  COPYING.LIB      gtk-xmhtml          libgnorba      README
aclocal.m4    debian           HACKING             ltmain.sh stamp-h.in
AUTHORS       devel-docs       idl                 macros support
ChangeLog     gnome-bug.in     images              Makefile.am test-gnome
config.guess  gnome-config.in  INSTALL             Makefile.in test-suite
config.h.in   gnomeConf.sh.in  install-sh          man            tools
config.sub    gnome-data       intl                missing        zvt
configure     gnome.h          libart_lgpl         mkinstalldirs

So, they moved the libraries into subdirectories, which are empty of
configure and auto stuff themselves, containing only a Makefile.am/in.

Friendly,

Sven Luther