[Cairo] Re: Xrender transforms...

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Thu Aug 14 12:35:51 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 08:27:14PM +0200, Anders Carlsson wrote:
> tor 2003-08-14 klockan 20.17 skrev Sven Luther:
> > On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:00:02AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Hmm.  Might be nice to know how those guys solved this problem; at least
> > > we'd have an example to work from.
> >
> > Mmm, let me have a look :
> >
> > gnome-libs-1.4.2$ ls
> > ABOUT-NLS     configure.in     gnome-libs.spec     libgnome       NEWS
> > acconfig.h    COPYING          gnome-libs.spec.in  libgnomeui     po
> > acinclude.m4  COPYING.LIB      gtk-xmhtml          libgnorba      README
> > aclocal.m4    debian           HACKING             ltmain.sh stamp-h.in
> > AUTHORS       devel-docs       idl                 macros support
> > ChangeLog     gnome-bug.in     images              Makefile.am test-gnome
> > config.guess  gnome-config.in  INSTALL             Makefile.in test-suite
> > config.h.in   gnomeConf.sh.in  install-sh          man            tools
> > config.sub    gnome-data       intl                missing        zvt
> > configure     gnome.h          libart_lgpl         mkinstalldirs
> >
> > So, they moved the libraries into subdirectories, which are empty of
> > configure and auto stuff themselves, containing only a Makefile.am/in.
> >

> This is how it was done in gnome 1.4 which is over 2 years old. For
> gnome 2.0 we've split up the libraries into separate tarballs. It makes
> maintaining the packages easier, you don't have to re-release the entire
> set of libraries if there's a bugfix in one of the libraries.
>
> So the way it's done now is pretty much like cairo and its dependencies
> do it.

The difference is that every gnome library is at least a 400K tarball,
while the 4 cairo together are at most 135K, the slim library being 5K
only. libic and libpixregion are a bit bigger, but still nothing
compared to the vaste number of gnome libraries either in number or in
size.

So i believe that, altough this argument makes some sense for gnome, it
is ways overkill for cairo.

That said, nothing stops you from having different CVS repositories,
just it is much easier to the final user if the library ships in one
package only.

Friendly,

Sven Luther