[cairo] OS X backend

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 11:43:04 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 14:19, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Dec 5, Nathan Gray wrote:
>  > On Dec 5, 2003, at 10:31 AM, Carl Worth wrote:
>
>  > I did need to install pkg-config to get past the check that you
>  > mentioned.  I fed it the option "-I /usr/local", thinking that it
>  > wanted the root of the install, but re-reading the message I see that
>  > it wants the complete path to pkg.m4.  I guess I should have paid more
>  > attention.
>
> This is really a bug in the autogen.sh script. It would be much better
> if it had printed:
>
> 	ERROR: Could not find pkg-config macros.
> 	(Looked for /usr/local/pkg.m4)
>
> but I don't see any easy way to get the right information from
> aclocal, nor do I want to even think about parsing AC_LOCAL flags.
>
> So, I'm leaving it as is unless someone has a suggestion for an
> improvement.

It's a fairly good assumption that if someone sets ACLOCAL_FLAGS, then
they will set it correctly. Following is the code snippet from
GTK+'s autogen.sh that checks the no-ACLOCAL_FLAGS case.

I've Cc'ed Shawn Amundson who wrote the test, but I think it should
be fine to steal in any case ... it's not doing anything
non-obvious.

Regards,
						Owen

===
if test -z "$ACLOCAL_FLAGS"; then

        acdir=`$ACLOCAL --print-ac-dir`
        m4list="glib-2.0.m4 glib-gettext.m4"

        for file in $m4list
        do
                if [ ! -f "$acdir/$file" ]; then
                        echo "WARNING: aclocal's directory is $acdir,
but..."
                        echo "         no file $acdir/$file"
                        echo "         You may see fatal macro warnings
below."
                        echo "         If these files are installed in
/some/dir, set the ACLOCAL_FLAGS "
                        echo "         environment variable to \"-I
/some/dir\", or install"
                        echo "         $acdir/$file."
                        echo ""
                fi