[cairo] OS X backend

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Fri Dec 5 11:19:23 PST 2003

On Dec 5, Nathan Gray wrote:
 > On Dec 5, 2003, at 10:31 AM, Carl Worth wrote:

 > I did need to install pkg-config to get past the check that you
 > mentioned.  I fed it the option "-I /usr/local", thinking that it
 > wanted the root of the install, but re-reading the message I see that
 > it wants the complete path to pkg.m4.  I guess I should have paid more
 > attention.

This is really a bug in the autogen.sh script. It would be much better
if it had printed:

	ERROR: Could not find pkg-config macros.
	(Looked for /usr/local/pkg.m4)

but I don't see any easy way to get the right information from
aclocal, nor do I want to even think about parsing AC_LOCAL flags.

So, I'm leaving it as is unless someone has a suggestion for an
improvement.

 > I don't have an xrender.pc file anywhere on my system.  My X server,
 > however, does support the render extension, as "xdpyinfo | grep RENDER"
 > reveals.

So you've got an Xrender library that pre-dates the addition of
pkg-config support. Cairo doesn't know how to find that on its
own. You can probably just remove the check and set the right flags
Makefile.am.

Or you can just go to freedesktop.org and download the latest Xrender
library.

Finally, cairo is supposed to be able to work with X servers that
don't have the Render extension, so some build improvements are still
necessary to enable that case.

 > so I guess I'm on the right track.  Ok, time to do some package
 > installation... :-)

Sounds good. Have fun!