[Xr] Anybody there?

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Thu Jul 3 07:53:38 PDT 2003

On Jun 27, Keith Packard wrote:
 > Around 22 o'clock on Jun 27, Bill Spitzak wrote:
 > >
 > > Am I still on this list? Did everybody just stop working on Xr?
 >
 > Looks like you're still here.  Work on Xr has been sidetracked for a
 > while;

I'm still here. Though Keith is right about my being sidetracked. I've
been traveling far too much this summer.

On the other hand, I'm starting to feel pretty good about core drawing
capability (paths) in Xr right now. For the most part, the API is
clean and easy to use and the implementation works, (though it could
use some optimization of course).

Text is basically not handled yet so that still needs to be done of
course.

Beyond that, what's really needed to improve Xr is to get some
feedback. I'd be very interested to hear from people who have tried
using Xr in a non-trivial way, (eg. using it to support drawing within
a toolkit or a significant application). Feedback from experience like
that is quite useful. (Some feedback has already come in -- thanks for
the comments!).

 > Carl wrote a nifty Ricochet Robots client using Gtk+ and Xsvg/Xr/Xc
 > which demonstrates how those parts work together.  You can see that
 > in CVS at keithp.com (librr and grrobot).

The grr_board_view.c file contains an example of how to make a custom
GTK+ widget that draws itself using Xr, (and xsvg), so that may be
useful to look at.