[Xr] API questions

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jul 3 10:25:15 PDT 2003

Around 11 o'clock on Jul 3, Carl Worth wrote:

> The consensus seems to be to support only the sRGB color space and
> pushing any other color space manipulation up to higher levels. I'm no
> expert in dealing with color spaces, but I'm accepting that
> recommendation from those who know more than me.

For those concerned about gamut, it's important to note that the Xr APIs
accept floating point color values and that these values can be negative.
While something of a kludge, this will at least provide a representation
for colors outside the gamut of the non-negative sRGB space.  Of course,
this would require a new representation of the pixels within Xr, but that
is less important at this point than getting the API right.

-keith