[Xr] xr on Microsoft Windows

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 11 19:16:08 PDT 2003

Around 18 o'clock on Jul 11, "Daniel Morgan" wrote:

> Does xr build or run on Microsoft Windows?  If not, is there any plans to
> do so?

Xr doesn't yet build on anything other than X at this point, but it has no
intrinsic X dependencies and the plan is to see it ported as widely as
people are interested in supporting.  Projects like Squeak, Mono and
Mozilla are strongly cross platform and people have expressed an interest
in using Xr on all of their target platforms; I hope people with expertise
on non-X platforms will be able to help out with this porting effort.

Of course, the first job is to figure out what to call this library -- once
the X dependency has been removed, we'll have to call the library 'r' which
seems more than a little silly...

-keith