[Xr] xr on Microsoft Windows

Eric Christopherson rakko at charter.net
Sat Jul 12 09:58:10 PDT 2003

Warning: linguistic nitpicking ahead!

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 09:28:31AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
[snip]
> Carl and I have been tossing 'cairo' back and forth -- there's an inside
> joke that can be explained -- Xr looks very much like the greek letters
> chi and rho,

While I really like the name Cairo, there are a few troublesome issues. One,
the Greek rho really looks like a Latin letter P, not R. That would make it
Xp ;)

Also on a Microsoft note, there was years ago some version of Windows with
the codename Cairo. I'm not sure if that association would hinder things,
though...

> and the italian word 'chiaros' means 'light, clear', which
> certainly provides some useful associations with alpha compositing and an
> easy to use interface with short function calls.  Anglicise 'chiaros' and
> you get something very close to 'cairo'.

I think that's chiaro, no s. Also, it's pronounced kyah-ro, not ky-ro, but
that's still fairly similar.

--
Furrfu!		r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t