[Cairo] Reply-to considerations.

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Tue Jul 15 19:14:08 PDT 2003

On Jul 15, Trevor Woerner wrote:
 > Could the mailing list options be set such that replies are by default
 > sent back to the list, instead of by default sent to the sender?

It is possible, yes.

The question of whether it's recommended or not leads into a large
existing debate. Google for "reply-to munging considered harmful" and
"reply-to munging considered useful" for the standard treatise from
each camp.

Personally, I fall in the "considered harmful" camp. Primarily because
without a specific reply-to, I know how to easily get my mailer to
reply to either the original sender or to the whole list, (and I
occasionally want to do one or the other). But when reply-to is set to
the list, I haven't found a way to tell my mailer to reply to just the
sender.

So, I've reverted this list back to not add any reply-to headers.

If anyone has any compelling reason to switch, please let me know via
private mail, (hint, this is easier to do since the reply-to has not
been set), and we can discuss it off of the list.

Now back to your previously scheduled program.

Thanks,

Carl Worth
USC Information Sciences Institute                      cworth at isi.edu