[Cairo] Color transforms

David Forster dforste at arbornet.org
Thu Jul 17 12:18:52 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 04:29:49PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Presumably for .png there are a load of strange compression options
> which would work well at device surface creation, but for .pdf are there
> not all manner of web-linking / even more exotic bits that people may
> want emitted ?
>
> 	It's not at all obvious to me how to support that sort of thing short
> of exposing the internals of the backend rendering method somehow.

Think of Xlib; Cairo doesn't replace it, it just sits over it's
drawing functionality.  Likewise, you would have a libpdf that the
Cairo backend sits over.  When you crate a `PDF surface' you just hand
over what ever data types libpdf made, just as you do with Xlib (or
you could have a convenience surface creator that handles everything).
Ditto with PNG.

A backend, of course, could do everything but that design will be
understandably limited.

-Dave