[Xr] Clipping to rectangles

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Wed Jun 4 18:54:01 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 04 June 2003 12:53 pm, Carl Worth wrote:

> I think it may make sense to support two separate notions of
> clipping. The first, (XrClip), is a PostScript-like clip defined with
> a path, (with the conventional user space -> device space
> transformation).

No, the high-speed clipping interface must be accessible through the
transformed coordinates. Otherwise it could not be used to draw scalable or
rotated user interfaces, or to draw a postage-stamp of the user interface, or
to reuse the same code to output a picture of the gui to a printer. Saying
that widgets or windows must be restricted to integer pixel boundaries seems
very shortsighted to me.

Having two seperate clips, one supposedly for the toolkits and one for the
user, might make sense, but I don't like the sound of it. Having two
interfaces for very similar things sounds contrary to the Xr design.

--
     /\_       _|_========___         Bill Spitzak