[Cairo] Re: [xsvg] cairo_text_extents ?

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Tue Nov 25 14:50:16 PST 2003

John Ellson wrote:

> Carl Worth wrote:
>
>> > First, I'm uncomfortable with the need to multiply by the original
>> fontsize
>> > in xsvg.c.  I think it would be better if the units returned by
>> the  > text_extents functions were those of the model.
>>
>> All of the values at the cairo interface are in user space
>> coordinates. So, if you're dividing by font size after
>> cairo_text_extents, then it's not returning the right thing yet.
>>
> Multiplying actually, but we agree that its not right.

Just to clarify this.   Because I wasn't able to get at either the
current fontsize, or
the current zoom factor, in the extents code, so I divided the extents
by the current
composite scale before return.  This has the effect of normalizing the
extents to a
1pt font and a 1:1 zoom.   Then just multiplying by the fontsize on the
user side
gives back the correct units.

Access to either fontsize, or zoom factor, would allow the problem to be
solved.

John