[Cairo] Cairo Debian Packages

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Wed Nov 26 04:38:14 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:18:18AM -0500, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Nov 26, Sven Luther wrote:
>  > Also i don't really like the fact that cairo comes in loads of small
>  > libraries, and i guess the ftp-masters, once they are ready to look at
>  > it again, maybe in a month or so, will like it too, but let's see about
>  > that.
>
> We've talked about this before.
>
> One part of the plan is to merge libic with libpixregion, renaming the
> whole thing libpixman. That should help a lot. Just waiting for
> someone to do the work...
>
> The only other question is what to do about slim. And I don't know the
> right answer for that.

Currently the following source tarballs are built by Dave :

354195 libcairo_0.1.13.tar.gz
337700 libic_0.1.5.tar.gz
296762 libpixregion_0.1.0.tar.gz
334181 libsvg_0.1.2.tar.gz
290629 libxsvg_0.1.2.tar.gz
 47567 slim_0.2.0.tar.gz
 69925 xsvg_0.1.0.tar.gz

the true Cairo stuff being slim, libcairo, libic and libpixregion. I
don't really know about libsvg, libxsvg and xsvg, these are cairo using
libraries and applications, right ?

I thought that slim was only a bunch of header files, but the tarball is
48Ko. After looking a bit you see that :

2286  slim_export.h
2237  slim_import.h
3855  slim_internal.h

So indeed, these are only a bunch of header files. You could either have
a copy of those in each of the libcairo and libic/libpixregion/libpixman
tarballs, or provide it in only one of those. You need
libic/libpixregion before libcairo, but it would be more natural to put
it in libcairo don't know exactly. Also, these are 8Ko of actual needed
files, while the unpacked slim is 228Ko. This makes an almost 1:30
ratio, and a waste of 220 Ko of space.

I still believe one single tarball containing all the stuff (in separate
subdirs) would be the way to go for easy distribution, but the build
system would need to be changed accordyingly. I don't remember exactly
what we said last time, but would we ever use libcairo withough
libpixman or libpixman without libcairo ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther