[Cairo] Cairo Debian Packages

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Nov 26 05:51:06 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:38:14 +0100, Sven Luther <sven.luther at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Currently the following source tarballs are built by Dave :
>
> 354195 libcairo_0.1.13.tar.gz
> 337700 libic_0.1.5.tar.gz
> 296762 libpixregion_0.1.0.tar.gz
> 334181 libsvg_0.1.2.tar.gz
> 290629 libxsvg_0.1.2.tar.gz
>  47567 slim_0.2.0.tar.gz
>  69925 xsvg_0.1.0.tar.gz
>
> the true Cairo stuff being slim, libcairo, libic and libpixregion. I
> don't really know about libsvg, libxsvg and xsvg, these are cairo using
> libraries and applications, right ?

I guess; but they are also worth packaging "nearby" to cairo.

> I thought that slim was only a bunch of header files, but the tarball is
> 48Ko. After looking a bit you see that :
>
> 2286  slim_export.h
> 2237  slim_import.h
> 3855  slim_internal.h
>
> So indeed, these are only a bunch of header files. You could either have
> a copy of those in each of the libcairo and libic/libpixregion/libpixman
> tarballs, or provide it in only one of those. You need
> libic/libpixregion before libcairo, but it would be more natural to put
> it in libcairo don't know exactly. Also, these are 8Ko of actual needed
> files, while the unpacked slim is 228Ko. This makes an almost 1:30
> ratio, and a waste of 220 Ko of space.

I agree the slim package is rather odd to live as it's own but I just
kept to the upstream arrangement to make things easy; many of the
configure scripts in each package check for it

In the cvs tree:
$ grep slim  */configure.in
cairo/configure.in:PKG_CHECK_MODULES(CAIRO, fontconfig slim >= 0.2.0 libic >= 0.1.3 xrender >= 0.6)
libic/configure.in:PKG_CHECK_MODULES(LIBIC, libpixregion >= $LIBPIXREGION_REQUIRED slim >= $SLIM_REQUIRED)
libpixregion/configure.in:PKG_CHECK_MODULES(LIBPIXREGION, slim >= $SLIM_REQUIRED)
slim/configure.in:AC_INIT(src/slim_export.h)
slim/configure.in:AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(slim, $SLIM_VERSION)
slim/configure.in:slim.pc

So it needs to install some slim.pc file at the very least, or edit all of those to
remove it.

> I still believe one single tarball containing all the stuff (in separate
> subdirs) would be the way to go for easy distribution, but the build
> system would need to be changed accordyingly. I don't remember exactly
> what we said last time, but would we ever use libcairo withough
> libpixman or libpixman without libcairo ?

Over to you

Dave