[Cairo] Cairo Debian Packages

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Wed Nov 26 06:54:48 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 09:24:44AM -0500, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Nov 26, Sven Luther wrote:
>  > the true Cairo stuff being slim, libcairo, libic and libpixregion. I
>  > don't really know about libsvg, libxsvg and xsvg, these are cairo using
>  > libraries and applications, right ?
>
> Correct. So if you want to talk about cairo being made up of "loads of
> small libraries" the current number is 4 going on 3.

Ok. I suppose too that it is probable that libsvg and libxsvg share a
lot of code, but that is another story.

> And really, only 2 of those are cairo proper. The idea behind slim is
> that its macros would be useful for any shared library. I'll grant
> that it's odd to have a package for three tiny header files.

Mmm, maybe we can let it like that right now, and later the slim macros
can go into one of the other config packages or something such.

>  > I still believe one single tarball containing all the stuff (in separate
>  > subdirs) would be the way to go for easy distribution, but the build
>  > system would need to be changed accordyingly. I don't remember exactly
>  > what we said last time, but would we ever use libcairo withough
>  > libpixman or libpixman without libcairo ?
>
> libcairo will always depend on libpixman. But libpixman is intended to
> be useful alone, (otherwise I would not have made it a separate
> library). The primary other customer for libpixman is the X server. It
> has the original code which led to libpixman, and it will be very
> helpful to move the server over to eliminate this code duplication.

Mmm, and will then libpixman be shipping with the XFree86 tarball too, or is
this going to happen only in the fork version of XFree86. Not that i am
familiar with the current status of all of this though, and not that it
is all that important.

Friendly,

Sven Luther