[Cairo] format for api docs

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 13:38:16 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 18:08, Thomas Hunger wrote:
> Hello,
> if someone wanted to write some api docs, what would be the best way to do it?
> I like Gtkdoc very much, but a friend of mine said that not all people like
> in-source-documentation.
> Is there a plan?

In-source documentation really has been enormously successful
for GTK+ ... I was a bit skeptical at the beginning, which is
partly why gtk-doc allows non-inline docs, but we've been
gradually putting more and more inline.

I don't think gtk-doc, however, is going to put up with the
Cairo's type names; it's a heuristic parser and really expects
things to follow "normal" conventions.

D-BUS is using Doxygen, and I think it's working out
well for them. The Qt dependency is a bit annoying, but shouldn't
be too bad if it's an optional dependency for people hacking
on the sources.

(And probably easier to get going than gtk-doc's reliance
on libxslt and a functioning set of XSLT docbook
stylesheets.)

Regards,
					Owen