[Cairo] format for api docs

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Mon Oct 13 13:58:40 PDT 2003

On Oct 14, Thomas Hunger wrote:
 > Is there a plan?

I should elaborate a bit more here.

The two needs I'd like to see addressed in documentation are:

1) An easy to follow tutorial with example code, sample output, etc.

2) A complete reference manual for everything in the API.

I'd like the two manuals to integrate nicely, (similar typesetting,
easy cross-referencing, etc.). But for the tutorial, I don't
anticipate much help from an in-source documentation tool, nor would I
expect it to be easy to get things integrating nicely with two
separate systems.

So that's some of my bias against the in-source approach.

But if others want to do the work and can pull off the goals as
described above, then I wouldn't complain too much. I would like to
avoid gratuitous dependencies for the documentation system though,
(a dependency on any graphical toolkit is gratuitous in my view).

Finally, Keith already has a tutorial that he has presented a couple
of times in a slide-show format. It would make a good starting point
for someone wanting to make a tutorial manual.