[Cairo] Cairo on older X servers, (eg. with Render version 0.2)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Sep 30 19:15:47 PDT 2003

Around 18 o'clock on Sep 30, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> I think it would be acceptable to add a call that must be done in the
> system-specific area, something like cairo_xlib_update_surface_size(...). I
> think any toolkit that hides xlib would probably be able to call this.

that makes sense; the call could actually include the surface size as
parameters; presumably the calling application would know that information
so that cairo could avoid a round-trip.  We could then ensure that this
information was used on Render servers by clipping to the specified
rectangle (perhaps only during debugging though; extraneous clipping is
not free in the X server).

-keith