[cairo] Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Points in Cairo Glitz paper

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Thu Apr 22 06:36:13 PDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:11:54 -0700 (PDT), Jon Smirl wrote:
> The image compositing model is a very core part of render. If it isn't easy to
> accelerate on common hardware then we're going to have performance trouble. Do
> low end cards have four texture units?

Eric Anholt has been looking into acceleration support for Render,
(along with other extensions that have first appeared within
kdrive). He's written a paper on hi efforts that will appear in
Usenix/Freenix this summer. He would probably be a good person to
address the level of difficulty in accelerating Render.

As for cairo, if there is another way to draw the correct results in a
given backend, it's not necessary to use a low-level interface with the
same semantics as Render. (That said, the current OpenGL backend was
written with the same interface as Render and it seems to be performing
well.)