[cairo] glitz-miniglx and root drawable

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 13:57:22 PDT 2004

--- Carl Worth <cworth at east.isi.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:26:18 +0800, "Rogelio M.Serrano Jr." wrote:
> >                       Through the xrender extension? Can we also
> put
> > cairo in the server? Or is cairo client side only.
>
> Cairo is just a client-side library. There's no benefit to having it
> in
> the server since none of its operations can be provided by the video
> hardware. (Or if they can, then those pieces should be pushed down
> into
> the Render extension instead.)

Glitz completely bypasses XRender and uses direct rendered OpenGL
(DRI). The Xserver is not involved in DRI drawing. That's one of the
reasons it is so fast.

There are several models:
Cario - xlib - process swap - x server, Xrender, XAA
Cario - xlib - process swap - x server, Xrender, OpenGL (not yet)
Cairo - glitz - OpenGL (DRI)

Remote:
Cairo - xlib - x protocol - x server, Xrender, XAA
Cario - xlib - x protocol - x server, Xrender, OpenGL (not yet)
Cario - glitz - glx protocol - x server, OpenGL

It will be interesting to see which is faster, Cairo remote on GLX or X
protocols.

Currently uses software mesa for OpenGL
Cario - glitz - glx protocol - x server, OpenGL
Sooner or later we will fix it to use DRI for OpenGL. Ian is almost
there.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com