[cairo] API request: obtain the trapezoids that are outside of the surface

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Tue Aug 17 12:14:14 PDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:02:03 +0200 (CEST), =?iso-8859-1?q?Jost=20Boekemeier?= wrote:
> The only workaround would be to ask the _user_ for the
> bounding box of the path.

Ah, now we're on to something.

Being able to ask cairo for the bounding box of the current path seems
like a perfectly reasonable option. This has precedent in PostScript and
I thought someone might eventually ask for this.

I'm already planning on adding cairo_stroke_path which replaces the
current path with a new path equivalent to the outline formed by
stroking it.

The combination of those two new functions would enable you to query the
bounding box of any potential fill or stroke operation.

Does that seem sufficient for you?

I think that would be a lot more clear than adding an option to query
what happened during the last drawing operation.