[cairo] Cairo with m17n-lib

Kenichi Handa handa at m17n.org
Tue Aug 17 18:28:46 PDT 2004

In article <4122668B.2000808 at jamesh.id.au>, James Henstridge <james at jamesh.id.au> writes:

> On 16/08/04 12:32, Kenichi Handa wrote:
>> We have just release the version 1.1.0 of the m17n library
>> <http://www.m17n.org/m17n-lib>.  Along with it, we have also
>> done some work to use that library from cairo
>> <http://www.m17n.org/m17n-lib/cairo/index.html>.
[...]
> Based on a quick look at the patch, it seems like it doesn't take
> hinting into account when laying out the text (measuring things at size
> 100, then scaling them down).

You are right.

> Is it planned to lay things out according to the hinting
> in the future?

Yes, I'd like to handle font hinting properly in the future.
For that, we must instruct m17n-lib to scale/transform a
font by a specific value, but for the moment, there isn't a
proper API for that.

Another problem is that cairo_m17n_XXX_YYY functions are
just wrappers of cairo_XXX_YYY because I didn't want to
modify the cairo body at the moment.  So, the calculated
glyph positions are transformed/scaled by the current matrix
of cr, which, I think, will make precise hinting useless
anyway.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa at m17n.org