[cairo] "operator" keyword in libcairo

Chris fltk at functionalfuture.com
Tue Dec 28 21:02:30 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 20:45 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> The cairo architecture is designed with the idea that fontconfig and
> FreeType would be replaced in the Windows environment.  A native font
> mechanism will provide consistency with font selection used in other
> Windows applications.
>
> Not that fontconfig can't be used in a Windows environment, it's just that
> it's not the mechanism used by other applications on the system, and hence
> provides a 'different' experience for users of cairo-based applications.
>
> I did think that fontconfig had been made to run under Windows; if anyone
> has patches or other requests, please bugzilla them in the fontconfig
> bugzilla at https://bugs.freedesktop.org
>
> -keith

It is suppose to work as there are applications using it.  They are
mostly Gtk+ applications so it all kinda works together however.

I tried the Win32 binaries and I'm getting the same error as the
libraries I built.  It fails in cairo_ft_font.c in the function
_cairo_ft_font_create() around line 373:

_reference_font_val (font->val);

The problem is that font->val is NULL so trying to increase the
reference count blows up.

At first I thought it might be a problem with the font family because
Cairo defaults to "serif" which doesn't seem to exist when I run the
fontconfig fc-list program.  I changed the default to "MS Serif" but
that didn't fix the problem.

I tried stepping through the code to try and figure out why it was
getting a NULL value but _cairo_cache_lookup() uses all those void
pointers which makes it extremely difficult to tell what is going on
down there.  I gave up after a little while.

--
// Chris