[cairo] new pattern interface and OpenGL patch

David Reveman c99drn at cs.umu.se
Thu Mar 25 15:14:50 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 15:55 -0500, Carl Worth wrote:

> I like it very much as well. I was going to propose it earlier, but I
> didn't know if you felt that libglc was appropriate for user
> visibility, (since it began life as an OpenGL equivalent for the
> Render interface). Since you like it too, I think we have our answer.

I been thinking about this some more and this is definitely the way to
go.

I just want to point out the advantages:

* As mentioned earlier, the user gets full control over the the creation
of surfaces, swapping buffers, resizing...
* All of libglc's additional functionality, which not supported by cairo
can be used.
* Very simple interface for cairo. One function, one parameter.
* Cleans up cairo_gl_surface.c A LOT!
* More strait forward configure script for cairo.
* Cairo could be compiled for multiple OpenGL implementations. Different
applications can link to different versions of libglc (that use
different OpenGL implementation backends) but still link to the same
cairo library.

We've been thinking about changing the name of libglc. Mainly for
avoiding conflicts but we also like a name which is more easily
remembered and not just three letters which no one really knows what
they stand for. This new OpenGL backend interface will expose libglc to
the user and it becomes even more important to get the name switch done.
We have unfortunately no idea what we gonna name it. =) So if you know a
name that might work, please tell us (no suggestions are bad).

- David

--
David Reveman <c99drn at cs.umu.se>