[cairo] Trouble building cairo-0.1.22 on Mac OS X

Stephen Bespalko sjbespa at comcast.net
Mon May 3 08:29:22 PDT 2004

Greetings. I would like to consider helping out on the OS X side, but
at this point I can't build cairo to determine whether participation
would be appropriate. The pothole I'm stuck in is with regard to
building libpixman. Autogen fails with the output below.

There are also problems, at least on OSX, with compiling parts of the
XML support needed to build the documentation. If this is the
appropriate list to report such problems, please let me know.

A brief explanation of what an OS X backend would consist of would be
help me evaluate whether I can undertake such an endeavor.

Best regards,
Stephen Bespalko

g4:~/desktop/libpixman sjbespa$ autogen.sh
./autogen.sh:   Note: `./configure' will be run with no arguments.
                 If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on
the
                 `./autogen.sh' command line.

./autogen.sh: running `libtoolize --copy --force'
You should add the contents of `/sw/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
./autogen.sh: running `aclocal -I /usr/local/share/'
./autogen.sh: running `autoheader'
./autogen.sh: running `automake --add-missing'
configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
configure.in: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
configure.in: installing `./missing'
src/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
./autogen.sh: running `autoconf'
./autogen.sh: running `./configure --enable-maintainer-mode'
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles...
yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.3.0
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.3.0
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -p
checking whether ln -s works... yes
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed