[cairo] GTKCairo development

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Thu May 6 21:36:58 PDT 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 08:26 pm, Carl Worth wrote:
> So, if the user asks for a glyph, and the current font doesn't have it,
> I agree that cairo should draw something. I can imagine the support for
> this including the ability to build a small font into cairo, as well as
> code to draw little hex codes in boxes something like pango does.

This is fine with me. Your description is pretty much what I wanted: just for
it to draw *something* when I send a UTF-8 string without me having to "pick
the correct font".

I do believe that with open source, even if you don't want it to, this will
quickly be turned into a complete Unicode "generate the correct glyph"
library. This is just so extrodinarily useful. I don't see it harming Pango
in any way, since any glyph it would change would be something Pango would
not ask for in the first place. If it got good enough then maybe Pango would
start to use it, though.

--
     /\_       _|_========___         Bill Spitzak