[cairo] GTKCairo development

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Fri May 7 05:30:47 PDT 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004 21:36:58 -0700, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> This is fine with me. Your description is pretty much what I wanted: just for
> it to draw *something* when I send a UTF-8 string without me having to "pick
> the correct font".

Good. I'm glad we see this in a similar light.

> I do believe that with open source, even if you don't want it to, this will
> quickly be turned into a complete Unicode "generate the correct glyph"
> library. This is just so extrodinarily useful.

I can imagine something like this happening. If we eventually have a
mature, well-agreed upon solution, then it may make sense to push it
down into cairo. But for now, I'd like to focus on exporting the
functionality necessary so that others can explore that solution space.

But I think we do have the API in place for either approach. The API is
the only thing that need be hashed out on this list. Everything else can
just happen in the source tree.