[cairo] Write ups on Microsoft Avalon

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 06:44:11 PDT 2004

Did you compare enough to make sure that Cairo offers all of the basic
operations that Avalon does? It will be a problem later if Avalon is offering
"wonderfully complex gradient type" and Cairo does not offer an equivalent API.
If Cairo is missing basic compatibility at the drawing operation level it will
be very difficult for things like mono to fix it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/Longhorn/understanding/pillars/avalon/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnlong/html/avalongraphics.asp

http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/?//longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/lhsdk/core/overviews/road_map.aspx

http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/?//longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/lhsdk/ref/system.windows.media.aspx

> > How does Cairo compare to the drawing pieces?
>
>   Just glanced over the first of those links.  Very interesting.  If I'm
> not mistaken, Cairo compares to the GDI+ Windows API, while SVG is
> equivalent to the drawing elements in XAML.
>
>   This reminds me of Miguel de Icaza's warning about the need compete
> with this powerful XAML framework.  He's probably right.  The Open
> Source world already has most of the pieces of the puzzle
> (SVG+Cairo+Glade+Python|Mono|whatever), but it is still missing the
> required integration work:
> 	1- Integration of SVG + Glade + Scripting language in a single XML
> document;
> 	2- A browser plugin or standalone program that executes the above XML
> document.
>
>   Of course, some people argue that Mozilla's XUL does the same, but for
> a gnomer like me XUL doesn't compare to Gtk+.
>
> --
> Gustavo João Alves Marques Carneiro
> <gjc at inescporto.pt> <gustavo at users.sourceforge.net>
> The universe is always one step beyond logic.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com