[cairo] Compiling Cairo with MinGW under Win32

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Mon Nov 1 11:04:17 PST 2004

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:34:22 +0100, Hans Breuer wrote:
> Memory is short (I even was searching this in 2003;-). To the point:
> there already is (or should I say was?) a native win32 backend (
> using just plain GDI). And in fact it had working code - but IIRC was rejected
> cause of not being buildable with autotools. See:
>
> http://www.cairographics.org/pipermail/cairo/2004-July/001581.html

Hi Hans,

I certainly never rejected your patch. I just couldn't commit it without
being able to build/test it.

So when Stuart approached me this summer and said he was interested in a
win32 backend, I pointed him at your work above. And I believe he used
it as a starting point for his current work, (though I don't know how
much it has transformed since then).

So I hope you don't feel your effort was wasted--it's all contributed to
where we are today[*].

Thanks again,

-Carl

[*] Which is, by the way, still without this backend committed. Yes,
Stuart, this is another gentle nudge. :-)