[cairo] CSS/SVG filter effects

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Nov 1 12:26:05 PST 2004

CSS3 and SVG support group composition effects of the following form:
1) Render an element and all its children into a temporary buffer (with
alpha channel)
2) Use some effect to combine the temporary buffer into the canvas
(e.g., translucent blending or Gaussian blur)

Currently it appears that the temporary buffer should be an image
surface and we have to figure out a size and resolution for it. Correct?

A related question: many of these effects are convolutions of some
matrix with the image data. Will hardware accelerated convolution be
exposed through Cairo? Or will we have to dig into Glitz to get that?

Rob

--
Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word