[cairo] CSS/SVG filter effects

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Nov 1 12:39:15 PST 2004

Around 15 o'clock on Nov 1, "Robert O'Callahan" wrote:

> A related question: many of these effects are convolutions of some
> matrix with the image data. Will hardware accelerated convolution be
> exposed through Cairo? Or will we have to dig into Glitz to get that?

I'm puzzling this through in the Render extension at this point, but
certainly the goal is to provide convolutions of some form through both
Render and cairo.  I'm curious whether we should specify them by passing
the kernel to the library and expecting it to identify optimized cases or
whether we should provide several 'common' filters in the API.

Reworking the underlying pixman software rendering architecture seems like
a prerequisite to any software implementation of more sophisticated
filtering than we have today.

-keith