[cairo] Cairo perl bindings

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Nov 4 07:11:07 PST 2004

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:42:44 -0400, Ross McFarland wrote:
> i just spend a couple of hours doing very rough bindings for Cairo to
> perl. by no means should these be used for anything other than
> satisfying curiosity, but they do (partially) work. you'll need
> ExtUtils::PkgConfig (from CPAN or http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/) and
> CVS HEAD of cairo to compile.

Hi Ross,

I've just given this a try and things seem to work just fine. I found
the ExtUtils::PkgConfig in the Debian package libextutils-pkgconfig-perl.

I'm glad to see at least one test included, and it successfully made a
PNG file for me.

I see just a few minor things that should be taken care of:

	* A README file is needed. It should describe this code and give
          build instructions, (I did guess "perl Makefile.PL"), but
          eliminating the guessing would help.

	* The source files need copyright attributions and licensing
          information.

	* I think CairoMaxtrix.xs should be renamed CairoMatrix.xs.

Once those things are taken care of, I don't see why this code shouldn't
live in CVS. Bindings don't have to be perfect before being hosted
there. (We can always dump stale/unfinished bindings when release time
comes if necessary).

Thanks so much for your contribution.

-Carl

PS. Oh, and you should go edit the Bindings page on the website to add
an entry for this. Just click the Edit button and register if necessary.