[cairo] Cairo perl bindings

Ross McFarland rwmcfa1 at neces.com
Thu Nov 4 07:37:24 PST 2004

Carl Worth said:
> I'm glad to see at least one test included, and it successfully made a
> PNG file for me.

as a general rule i do 100% api testing on bindings. we put quite a bit of
effort into it for Gtk2-Perl and have an extensive test suite, i plan on doing
the same here, as possible. we've actually found and tracked down numerous
bugs in the gtk+ library with our binding's tests.

i also want to do a few examples and include them.

> I see just a few minor things that should be taken care of:
>
> 	* A README file is needed. It should describe this code and give
>           build instructions, (I did guess "perl Makefile.PL"), but
>           eliminating the guessing would help.

yeah, hadn't got to the point of doing the README, ChangeLog, ... type stuff,
i'd mainly just concentrated on getting things up and going.

> 	* The source files need copyright attributions and licensing
>           information.

yeah, falls into the same pass of work as above, things that need to be done
before an actual 'release' is made.

> 	* I think CairoMaxtrix.xs should be renamed CairoMatrix.xs.

heh, yeah.

> Once those things are taken care of, I don't see why this code shouldn't
> live in CVS. Bindings don't have to be perfect before being hosted
> there. (We can always dump stale/unfinished bindings when release time
> comes if necessary).

i'll try and go through tonight and do all of this stuff. any thoughts on an
appropriate module name when it goes into cvs:

   cairo-perl
   perl-Cairo

> Thanks so much for your contribution.

thanks. i see a lot of promise in cairo and i wouldn't want perl developers to
miss out on all of the fun.

> PS. Oh, and you should go edit the Bindings page on the website to add
> an entry for this. Just click the Edit button and register if necessary.

i'll probably wait until it's in cvs to official announce it to the world and
put it up on the page as i'm not sure i'd have anything to link to until then.

-rm