[cairo] A hidden offset for the xlib backend

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Sep 5 15:42:11 PDT 2004

Around 18 o'clock on Sep 5, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Situation here might be we are exposing a small 100x100 region
> in the middle of a 10,000x10,000 pixel window. The backing
> pixmap is created 100x100 pixels instead of 10,000x10,000
> pixels for obvious performance reasons.

As the cairo transformation does "almost" what you want, is there a reason
you wouldn't want to expose gdk-specific helper functions for this case? Or
do you think a hidden transformation capability like this would be more
generally useful in cairo?  I can see arguments for rotation, reflection
and scaling as well at this level, and that seems like a slippery slope...

-keith