[cairo] cairo_matrix_t

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Sep 7 16:35:30 PDT 2004

Around 15 o'clock on Sep 7, Owen Taylor wrote:

> What would a program/routine that calls cairo_matrix_get_affine() do if
> it suddenly got a non-affine matrix?

Well, you'd get something.  Not necessarily complete enough to reproduce
the projective matrix, but...

> There is also a good possibility of program/routines making an
> assumption of translation invariance .... I don't have much experience
> with projective transforms, but it sounds a little mind-binding.

Projective transformations give you a lot of extra flexibility in
presenting 3D-ish figures.  I'm not sure cairo should be in this business,
but it's certainly an interesting one to think about.  I guess we will
eventually have to choose whether it will ever be possible; perhaps now is
that time...

-keith