[cairo] Re[4]: Cairographics on win32

Oleg Smolsky oleg.smolsky at pacific-simulators.co.nz
Wed Apr 13 15:17:48 PDT 2005

Hello Tor,

Tor Lillqvist wrote on Wednesday, 13 April 2005:
> Anyway, I guess we agree that for MSVC, something better than
> project files or nmakefiles would be ideal. Be it then cmake or
> scons (neither of which I have even looked at yet). Heck, if there
> existed such a build system that was as elegant (heh) as autofoo, I
> would probably prefer to use Visual C, too.
>
> Let's list requirements for such a build system. Please add to this
> list...
> - Should be Open Source
> - Ideally, should be multi-platform, Unix/Windows/MacOS,
> - Should support parallel installations of different versions of
> headers, libraries and runtimes for the same packages.
> - Ideally, should at least semi-automatically be able to import
> Makefile.am files. Hmm, this is maybe asking too much...
Here is my $0.02 on this matter: Having such a system would be nice,
and it would solve a lot of issues, but, for my projects it is of no
consequence.
- Cairo is just one part of a workspace with 30 projects
- The entire thing is compiled under VC++ IDE and debugged using the
  built-in debugger

I have no intention of porting the build to anything else, and if
cairo came with these new build files for that new ideal build system,
I'd just ignore them, and create a VC++ project.

At the end of the day, cairo is a library, and it will always be used
as part of some other product.

P.S. in the ideal world, I would've done "apt-get install cairo-dev"
     and then executed "bjam install" inside my source tree, and
     everything would've worked. But, I end up getting cairo from cvs,
     and building it as part of my workspace on windows..... oh well.

Best regards,
Oleg.