[cairo] Re[4]: Cairographics on win32

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 07:06:53 PDT 2005

I think a more productive approach is to identify  the failings of
autoconf and friends for the Win32 platform and determine if it can be
fixed instead of throwing it out. I've not seen that they can't be
made to work better.  For example if the Visual Studio project file
format is understood then just generate the file as a target.

Basically what would be needed to make autoconf work on Win32 well and
does it make sense to do it ? If not then discard it. Personally I
think auto-tools have gotten the closest to a real crossplatform build
tool then anything else I've seen there far from perfect but I think
it would be better to spend time fixing them for win32 then dumping
them. Generally I've found "Windows" build tools to break horribly
between windows variants so the windows build stuff only works for a
few windows enviroments. Autconf can at the minimum tell me what I
need to get a correct build enviroment.

Mike