[cairo] Font licenses and embedding

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Thu Aug 11 11:31:08 PDT 2005

You can't "inadvertantly GPL your document". What you could do is
violate the copyright on the font. You may have to remove it from future
distributions, and you could get sued for monetary damages.

For the GPL this falls under the "agglomeration" clause. And I think
providing the "source" of the font, rather than only the "compiled"
images of the letters, seems much more in spirit of the GPL. Therefore
such a document is *more* in agreement with the GPL than a printed page,
and everybody agrees the printed page is ok, so therefore this must be
ok as well.

For commercial fonts it still seems that the usability of the font is
very much restricted without the ability to copy it into a document. I
would think the copyright restrictions would be that a person getting
your document is not allowed to copy the font out of it and use it in
their own documents.