[cairo] Fonts

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sun Aug 21 11:18:21 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 01:56 +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Is Xrender supposed to replace Xft?

Both Cairo and Xft use the RENDER extension to draw fonts
and fontconfig to locate those fonts. We've tried to make
the Xft => Cairo transition as seemless as possible.

> With everything going to client-side fonts, how are users
> supposed to configure fonts for x clients running on remote
> servers? Do users need an account and home directory on every
> x client machine to load their fonts?

You have:

 A) Applications you want to run
 B) Fonts that you want the application to use

They need to be on the same place: the "client" machine.

The most common client/server case for X is the "X terminal
case" where the Xserver is a very minimal machine and the
user's home dir and apps are on a central machine - having
the fonts on the central machine is clearly more convenient.

In the case where you are running a random app over ssh - well,
yes, the font has to be on the machine with the app, but having
a few fonts installed along with the X libraries isn't a big
deal.

Regards,
						Owen