[cairo] Confusion between generated and distributed cairo.def

J. Ali Harlow ali at avrc.city.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 03:01:08 PDT 2005

Hi all,

cairo-1.0.0 fails to build for me out of the box due to a confusion
between the generated cairo.def and the distributed one. This is
because src/Makefile.am adds a dependancy to libcairo.la on cairo.def
and there is both a rule in src/Makefile.am to build it and a copy in
the source tree. As it stands, when building using a VPATH, make will
see the copy in the source tree but the linker will be looking in the
build directory causing it to fail.

I think the best solution is to simply remove the distributed version
and always generate it. As far as I can see this is what we do for
glib.def for example and it seems to work just fine. I attach a trivial
patch which does this. The other obvious alternative would be to change
src/Makefile.am to explicitly use the distributed copy by using
$(srcdir)/cairo.def in the relevant places, but this seems more prone
to people forgetting to update cairo.def so unless we need it...

Cheers,

Ali Harlow                              Email: ali at avrc.city.ac.uk
Senior Research Officer                 Tel:   (020) 7040 4348
Applied Vision Research Centre          Intl: +44 20 7040 4348
City University                         Fax:   (020) 7040 5515
London                                  Intl: +44 20 7040 5515