[cairo] angular gradient

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Dec 8 22:55:01 PST 2005

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 01:27:28 +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> But having the gradient support moved into other place worries me; Does
> this mean Cairo will no longer support gradient when it is used as a
> stand-alone library (along with libpixman but nothing more than just that?

No, no functionality is going away.

What's going on here is that for a long time there have been _two_
different implementations of gradients in cairo, (one in "cairo" and
one in pixman which is inside of cairo). The one in cairo has been
the one that is getting used, but it's older and slower.

The other one in pixman is newer and faster, (perhaps less tested, but
more correct with David's patches).

So, the all software case isn't fundamentally changed, it will just be
different software.

The only case that really changes is when targeting an X server, and
that will now use the gradient code that lives inside the X
server. This has potential for some good speedup, (not having to
fallback to local image rendering as often when using X).