[cairo] using expat for libsvg

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Jan 2 14:50:07 PST 2005

Around 17 o'clock on Jan 2, Chris wrote:

> How hard would it be to make fontconfig use libxml2?  Is all of the
> fontconfig XML stuff related to the configuration file?

It's only for the configuration file, but I want to make which XML library
is used a compile-time option, so I need some common abstraction which
will work atop either library.

I started this work but gave up when I realized that fontconfig uses expat
in a way which is far different from any model exposed by libxml2.

Fontconfig also asserts that configuration files are always in UTF-8
encoding, which eliminates most of the potential problems with using
expat, so there wasn't a huge push to use libxml2.

-keith