[cairo] Rounding bug in cairo_ft_font.c

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jan 8 20:40:44 PST 2005

Around 23 o'clock on Jan 8, Carl Worth wrote:

> The convention that "all numbers crossing the API are in user-space[*]"

Except that we expose font space already with the font scaling and
transformation mechanisms.  The reasoning for using 'font space' for
metrics is partially because PostScript does, and partially because we'd
have to report polygons instead of rectangles for the bounding boxes and
vectors instead of scalars for advances.

The complexity of having to deal with polygonal bounding boxes for text
seems to me to outweigh the advantages of having them in user space.

-keith