[cairo] Rounding bug in cairo_ft_font.c

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Jan 8 21:14:56 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 20:40 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 23 o'clock on Jan 8, Carl Worth wrote:
>
> > The convention that "all numbers crossing the API are in user-space[*]"
>
> Except that we expose font space already with the font scaling and
> transformation mechanisms.  The reasoning for using 'font space' for
> metrics is partially because PostScript does, and partially because we'd
> have to report polygons instead of rectangles for the bounding boxes and
> vectors instead of scalars for advances.
>
> The complexity of having to deal with polygonal bounding boxes for text
> seems to me to outweigh the advantages of having them in user space.

To me, what people actually want is the exact rectangular bounding box
in user space coordinates. The bounding quadrilateral you get from
transforming the bounding box in font coordinates or device coordinates
doesn't help ... it doesn't provide me with a better bounding rectangle
in user space coordinates than if Cairo skipped the quadrilateral and
returned the quadrilateral's bounding rectangle.

Regards,
					Owen

(I'm saying "bounding rectangle" for "axis aligned bounding rectangle")