[cairo] cairo backend for xpdf - first drop

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jan 10 06:29:25 PST 2005

Around 10 o'clock on Jan 10, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > The question I had is whether xpdf has all the information it needs to
> > be able to compute this adjustment. The answer may be "it depends on
> > the document", but I would certainly like to see this happen when
> > possible.
>
> I have no idea...

It almost always does -- the PDF file contains the Unicode values which
are generally listed in the order they appear on the screen, so a 'smart'
PDF viewer can fudge spacing around so that intra-word spaces respect the
hinted metrics while inter-word spaces respect the unhinted metrics.

This works pretty well when I hacked xpdf a year ago or so.

-keith