[cairo] Rework of cairo.h now committed

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Jan 20 08:53:38 PST 2005

I've just committed two big changes to how cairo.h works, (that have
been discussed here in multiple threads). Both of these will require
application changes.

1) The public header files will no longer be directly installed into
   the system include directory. They will now be installed in a
   subdirectory named "cairo", (eg. in /usr/include/cairo rather than
   in /usr/include).

   For applications using pkg-config, the change should be mostly
   transparent, as pkg-config will find the new directory.

   However, user will also need to manually remove the old versions of
   cairo.h and cairo-features.h from the system include directories in
   order to prevent them being found first. One good suggestion was to
   augment "make install" to error out when the old headers are
   found. I'd be glad for somebody to implement that.

2) The backend-specific portions of the old monolithic cairo.h have
   been split out into individual public header files. The new files
   are:

	cairo-ft.h
	cairo-glitz.h
	cairo-pdf.h
	cairo-png.h
	cairo-ps.h
	cairo-xcb.h
	cairo-xlib.h

   Applications will need to be modified to explicitly include the new
   header files where appropriate.

For the many bindings and applications hosted within the cairo CVS
tree, I've tried to update everything that needed it. I did so
whenever I successfully compiled the module. If you maintain a module
that still needs changes, then we should work it out so that it is
easier for me to compile your module. ;-)

-Carl

PS. Next, I'm going to perform a similar break-up of the internal
header files, (which should solve the problem of "operator" with
cairo_gdip_surface.cpp). After that, I hope to be ready to push out a
new snapshot.