[cairo] Re: Proposal: Splitting cairo.h for the backends

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Thu Jan 20 12:34:07 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 20:13 +0000, Calum Robinson wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2005, at 19:48, Ned Konz wrote:
>
> > Couldn't we just make a template project that is set up with these
> > correctly,
> > and not bother with editing the headers?
>
> We could, but then every developer who used Cairo would have to tweak
> it when they changed the position of the cairo framework relative to
> the project, which is uglier than rewriting the headers once.

I think there is considerable value in being able to reference
header files in docs and examples without having to worry about
what platform you are running on, or worse, how you are compiling
on a particular platform. (OS-X being different when building on
the command line or in XCode would be, err, bad.)

This also applies to cross-platform code that uses Cairo.

A section in the docs about "How to setup Cairo for use with XCode"
is far better than a section in the docs "The mental substitutions
you need to perform when reading the rest of this document and using
XCode"

Regards,
					Owen