[cairo] Some experiments with gtk-doc

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Jan 28 08:29:46 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 09:36 -0500, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:25:18 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > OK, I landed this into CVS and moved all the interesting docs from
> > doc/reference/ to inline in gtk-doc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > I set up a nightly auto-build in my freedesktop.org account with
> > the results at:
> >
> >   http://cairographics.org/~otaylor/cairo-docs/
>
> This looks good. I'd like to get it moved into a more permanent home I
> wondered if this couldn't just take over the primary documentation URL
> http://cairographics.org/documentation. But we do already have a
> wiki-based FAQ. So it seems like we'll still want at least one
> top-level wiki-based page pointing to the available resources.
>
> So, what shall we call these things? Maybe "manuals"? And where shall
> we put them? So far, the URL structure has been mostly flat, but we
> can change that if needed. This simplest suggestion for now would be:

What about "manual", no plural? We can think if it as one book with
multiple parts. (Hopefully Cairo will stay simple enough that the
docs could all be printed as one volume :-)

> 	/documentation	- wiki index to documentation (as today)
> 	/FAQ		- wiki FAQ (as today)
> 	/manuals	- new gtk-doc generated stuff

Sounds good for organization.

> And later, it might make sense to make FAQ and manuals children of
> documentation, if we decide to give the website more hierarchy.

I think nice short rememberable URL like
http://cairographics.org/manual is better than hierarchy.

> > I don't mind leaving the auto-build running in my account, but we
> > should probably hide the URL behind a mod-rewrite redirect
> > so that we can move it somewhere else later.
>
> Owen, the website should allow simple mixing of wiki and static
> content. So if you point your auto-build to
> /srv/cairo.freedesktop.org/www/manuals it should just work.

Ah, group-writeable. Nifty.

Regards,
						Owen